Copy Descriptive Cataloging of Monographs Using RDA
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: Here is your chance to work with RDA (Resource Description and Access) while learning the fundamentals of copy cataloging of monographs. In this hands-on workshop, you will explore the foundations behind RDA, and use the tools included in the RDA Toolkit.
This workshop will cover the essentials of copy cataloging, key MARC tags, basic access point control and why it is important, and where to find good MARC records. Among the topics discussed will be the chief source of information, physical description, primary access point, and the choice of additional access points. Participants will learn the appropriate MARC fixed and variable fields for books and will study the relationships among these fields. Several MARC record examples will be examined, and a number of hands-on copy cataloging exercises will be included.
The booklet for this workshop contains an RDA Workflow providing the relevant RDA rules, the Library of Congress-Program for Cooperative Cataloging Policy Statements and MARC coding information. The OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards will also be used.
Note: This is a general copy cataloging course and questions regarding specific local systems will not be covered.
- MARC: An Introduction (or familiarity with MARC tags)
- Access to the RDA Toolkit is helpful but not required
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email email@example.com to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland
- 800-530-9019 ext 404