Original Descriptive Cataloging of Monographs Using RDA
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: Here is your chance to work with RDA (Resource Description and Access) while learning the fundamentals of original cataloging of monographs. In this hands-on workshop, you will explore the foundations behind RDA, and use the tools included in the RDA Toolkit. How to assign subject headings and basic access point control will also be reviewed. Among the topics discussed will be the chief source of information, physical description, primary access point, and the choice of additional access points. Several MARC record examples will be examined, and a number of hands-on exercises will be included. The booklet for this workshop contains an RDA Workflow providing the relevant RDA rules, the Library of Congress Program for Cooperative Cataloging Policy Statements (LC-PCC PS) and MARC coding information. The OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards will also be used. Note: This is a general original cataloging course and questions regarding specific local systems will not be covered.
- MARC: An Introduction (or working knowledge of MARC)
- Copy Descriptive Cataloging of Monographs Using RDA would be helpful but is not required.
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland
- 800-530-9019 ext 404