Assigning Library of Congress Call Numbers: Basic
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: Learn all the basic principles of using the LCC schedules, choosing class numbers, creating cutters, and shelflisting for your local collection. Also provides an introduction to a few special LCC conventions for time periods, authors, artists, and sacred works. (A basic understanding of cataloging practice and standards, including RDA and MARC21, is recommended. Does not cover classification for legal, musical, or cartographic works.)
- Understand the basic structure and organization of Library of Congress Classification (LCC).
- Learn how to navigate the LCC schedules.
- Understand each element of the call number.
- Learn how to choose/create each element of the call number based on the subject heading and other information in the resource description.
- Develop some familiarity with classifying resources based on time period, as well as classification of literary, artistic, and sacred works.
Prerequisites: A basic understanding of RDA and MARC.
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland
- 800-530-9019 ext 404