Assigning Library of Congress Subject Headings
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: This workshop provides practical experience in assigning Library of Congress Subject Headings as part of the cataloging process. Participants will learn how to perform a technical reading of an item and how to choose appropriate subject headings based on the principles of subject heading assignment put forth by the Library of Congress. Participants will also learn how to verify headings they have assigned against the Library of Congress subject headings. The structure and interpretation of online LC subject authority records in the OCLC subject authority file will be covered as well as the structure of bibliographic tools such as the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Library of Congress Subject Cataloging Manual: Subject Headings. Participants will perform a number of exercises in assigning subject headings to bibliographic works.
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland
- 800-530-9019 ext 404