Child's Play: Cataloging Children's Materials
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 60.00
- Non-Member: $ 120.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 150.00
- Non-Member: $ 300.00
Cataloging children's materials needs some thinking through. We'll explore the whys and wherefores as well as look at the practical side.
In this course, we will: 1) Explore the possibilities of value-added cataloging, 2) be able to identify and deal with the anomalies found in cataloging children's materials, and 3) know how to use cataloging tools and resources available for this special focus.
We'll start the course with some thinking about why we even want to catalog children's materials. We will discuss some of the irregularities that occur with cataloging children's books (board books, books with moving parts, books with no words, etc.), kits (for example books with accompanying stuff -- CDs, plush toys), and "realia" (puzzles, toys, games). We will talk about several ways to add value to the catalog record -- ways to tie in with curriculum, reading levels, reading programs, library programming and displays, and just generally providing some depth to the data available to the catalog user.
- MARC: An Introduction (or working knowledge of MARC)
- Either Original Descriptive Cataloging of Monographs Using RDA
- Or Copy Descriptive Cataloging of Monographs Using RDA
- 2 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 2 Contact hours for all other library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland
- 800-530-9019 ext 404