Original Cataloging of Sound Recordings Using RDA
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: This workshop teaches participants how to do original cataloging of physical sound recordings (CDs, MP3s and cassettes, both musical and nonmusical), using such tools as RDA and OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards. The class will address original cataloging in the MARC format. The instruction will cover issues like the preferred source of information, physical description, authorized access point, content/media/carrier types, and choice of additional access points. In addition, participants will learn the MARC fixed and variable fields for sound recordings, and will study the relationships among these fields. Several MARC record examples will be examined, and three hands-on exercises will be included. The online versions of the RDA Toolkit and OCLC’s Bibliographic Formats and Standards will also be used.
NOTE: Basic navigation in the RDA Toolkit will not be covered.
- MARC: an Introduction (or working knowledge of MARC)
- Original Descriptive Cataloging of Monographs Using RDA (or working knowledge of the RDA Toolkit)
- Access to the RDA Toolkit is helpful but not required.
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- 6 SCECHs for Michigan school library staff
- 6 PGPs for Indiana school library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland