Just Enough to be Dangerous: Cataloging for Non-Catalogers (New!)
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 60.00
- Non-Member: $ 120.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 150.00
- Non-Member: $ 300.00
Class Description: Have you thought that those catalogers have been talking a new language lately? Does it sound like Alphabet Soup is being served in Tech Services? You’ve figured out that RDA is Resources, Description and Access (the new cataloging standard, implemented in 2013 to replace AACR2.) But what about FRBR, FRAD, LCSH, SHM, FAST, and LRM?? And what in the world is Bibframe?
This overview course will help non-catalogers communicate with catalogers (or, at least help you know what facial expression to use during conversations about bibliographic records, authority work, workflows, and data entry). If you are a school media specialist, this course will give you the background to be able to get started with cataloging. You will learn how to read a MARC record and discover how a cataloger comes up with what is in a bibliographic record.
- 2 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 2 Contact hours for all other library staff
- 2 SCECHs for Michigan school library staff
- 2 PGPs for Indiana school library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland