MARC: an Introduction
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: Do not be intimidated by MARC! Do terms like fixed and variable fields scare you? Are you put off by subfields and indicators? This class is designed to help you better understand MARC, whether you are a cataloger, reference librarian, interlibrary loan practitioner or support staff. If you are new to the library field or just need a review, a better understanding of MARC will be helpful.
The instructor will present an overview to MARC (Machine-Readable Cataloging) records and related terminology, such as the fixed and variable fields, tags, indicators, subfields, and International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD) punctuation marks. We will discuss how MARC tagging and coding of cataloging data is used in bibliographic records. We will set out guidelines for record selection and discuss when to create and enter new records.
Preparation: Review the OCLC publication “Bibliographic Formats and Standards” available online at http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- 6 SCECHs for Michigan school library staff
- 6 PGPs for Indiana school library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.
- Gwen Haviland