Assigning Library of Congress Subject Headings
Single Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 100.00
- Non-Member: $ 200.00
Group Registration Pricing
- Member: $ 250.00
- Non-Member: $ 500.00
Class Description: This workshop provides practical experience in assigning Library of Congress Subject Headings as part of the cataloging process. Participants will learn how to perform a technical reading of an item and how to choose appropriate subject headings based on the principles of subject heading assignment put forth by the Library of Congress. Participants will also learn how to verify headings they have assigned against the Library of Congress subject headings. The structure and interpretation of online LC subject authority records in the OCLC subject authority file will be covered as well as the structure of bibliographic tools such as the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Library of Congress Subject Cataloging Manual: Subject Headings. Participants will perform a number of exercises in assigning subject headings to bibliographic works.
In this course, we will briefly cover methods for subject analysis work that won’t require a subscription to ClassWeb, however, the material will be taught primarily using this cataloging tool so that we are keeping up with and accessing the most current standards of cataloging.
- 6 Library Education Units (LEUs) for Indiana library staff
- 6 Contact hours for all other library staff
- 6 SCECHs for Michigan school library staff
- 6 PGPs for Indiana school library staff
- You will receive a general email confirmation immediately upon successfully registering
- The login and preparation email for the workshop will be sent prior to the training date
- If you have not received your login and preparation email by noon of the day prior to the workshop, please email email@example.com to request it
Webinar instructions to fully participate in the workshop:
- Access the webinar presentation via the Zoom link provided in the login and preparation email
- Access the class materials via the Google Drive link provided in the login and preparation email
- Class materials may be printed ahead of time if desired
- Open and monitor chat within the Zoom meeting
- We recommend updating to the latest version of Zoom prior to the workshop
- Only one person (the group contact who registered or the person they designate) is allowed to join the Zoom meeting
- This person should project their screen to the group attendees so that the Zoom presentation and chat are visible to all
- This person should share the class materials link with the group attendees prior to the workshop so they are able to view the materials on their own device. Materials may also be printed ahead of time if desired.
MCLS Code of Conduct for meeting and event participants: MCLS is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment at all meetings and events, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meeting participants in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meeting at the discretion of MCLS. Our complete code of conduct and pricing information can be found here.